Pool Safety Checklist For Homes with Children
• Adult supervision is essential. Never let kids swim alone!
• If your pool is not fenced in, fence it!
• Keep gates closed. Make sure that self closing gates actually self close. Even better yet, padlock the gate.
• Keep items which can be used for climbing (tables, chairs, large play toys, and ladders) away from fences.
• Keep toys and balls out of and away from the pool area.
• Remove any trees, bushes or other things that might block a clear view of the pool from the house.
• Keep the water within 3 to 4 inches from the top of the pool. This will make climbing out of the pool easier.
• Keep all pool chemical supplies and equipment locked up at all times.
• Keep an emergency plan, with telephone number to call (911), by the entrance to the house or near an outside phone.
• Learn CPR. It takes only a couple hours and may save a life.
Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona http://www.preventdrownings.org